Skip to main content

Rock with a view

This place is beautiful. Watching the transition of spring to summer has been such a wonderful experience, you can see the green moving up the mountains as the snow on top slowly reseeds. When the sun is out, which isn't as often as I'm used to being from the east coast, we try to spend as much time as we can outside. Be it just playing in the backyard, snacking on the porch, scouring the beaches for sea glass, or hiking to new areas, we squeeze as much as we can into each day. Lucky for us the days here are so so long, with the sun rising around four in the morning and setting close to midnight. I'm still not used to the evenings being so bright. The other day little O was looking at the ceiling of my brother's house where we are staying as asked what those things were. They are lights, though she has never seen them used, which is just astounding!

Kodiak has some amazing places to explore, and so many that I haven't had a chance to get to yet. Luckily we still have plenty of time left on this trip, so there will be many more opportunities to adventure. I'm sharing a few photos from our explorations that we've done so far with friends of ours, as well as a couple that were just the two of us. As we get used to the land we will be doing much more on our own.

This huge rope was coiled and strung all over some trees in an area called Termination Point. There were even some swings set up, much to O's delight.

Fossil Beach. An indescribable place that I cannot wait to explore again. I'm bringing so many fossils back for friends and family I think I'll have to leave my clothes here to make room.

From the Termination Point trail. So much beauty in the land.

We explored Near Island with from friends, just as the first wildflowers of spring were peeping out. I think we're planning on going back here in a week or two to see more flowers.

This forest is just unbelievable. Fort Abercrombie is only a two minute drive from our house, with so many trails and sites to see within. One of my favorite places to explore so far.

We had a Memorial Day cook out at White Sands Beach. You can sort of see in the background, behind O's filthy sticky ecstatic face where the white and black sand meet. Most of the beaches in the island have black sand, though a few like this are white and I believe there are even a couple that have red sand. Much different than east coast beaches!

While this trip has had ups and downs, and can really make me miss Maine summers, it's such a great experience for myself but especially little O. She's learning so much and having just the best time with her cousins. She's making friends, trying new things, opening up, coming into her own, and blossoming before my eyes. Any time I doubt the decision to come out here, I just remember what has made this move possible and what opportunities it will bring. And this it's not forever. Any issues I might have, and bad habits we might develop, aren't likely to stick. Or at least won't be too hard to fix hopefully. There is definitely more good than bad from our adventure out west, and I cannot wait to see what else is in store for us all the way out here. 

Thank you for allowing me to share, I hope to inspire any of you to pick up and try something new, no matter how hesitant you are. You wouldn't want to have any regrets!

With light from the midnight sun,
Naomi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions

We went tide-pooling recently and O found a little jellyfish, which she is clearly so proud of. This is a time of transitions. Summer turning to autumn. O going from toddler to little girl. Moving back east after a long stint in Alaska. And all that takes a lot of mental space to deal with and get through. Bigger feelings, and bigger suitcases make this time in our lives and the year one that needs a little extra attention. Whether that is downsizing, quality time, or just extra cuddles during the day, it's a season that we will get through. Together. Just as we have always done. It is also a time where I am less attached to any one place than I ever have been, and that is definitely a vulnerable feeling. It's like I'm a bit of kelp that has come loose from its rock and is now floating freely around the vast ocean. I really need to take this time to reflect on where I am and where I would like to go. Now is the time to manifest my dreams into a reality, while I'

Letter to my Daughter

Dear little one, I'm so blessed that you chose me to be your mother. You are such a sweet soul who is kind and loving toward everyone, even at your tender age. Thank you for that. Parenting is hard enough without the added challenge of trying to know and connect with your child. You connect so easily with everyone around you that it makes my job of raising you and teaching you that much easier. I'm going to try my hardest to keep you as the sweet, innocent, little girl that you are now for as long as possible. You are only going to be a small child for so long , so why rush? Enjoy learning and growing into your own person. Take your time exploring the world around you and all of the wonders it has to offer. Again, thank you for the opportunity to watch you grow and make your mark on this earth, I'm so excited to see it all unfold. Love, Your mom

Ten months

Little O turned ten months old today, on the first day of spring. How is that possible? Didn't she just turn two weeks old the other day? Didn't she just become strong enough to hold her head up on her own just a little while ago? Time really does fly. Especially when you're a little one who's learning all new things every day! She's gotten pat-a-cake down, waving, high fives, and all sorts of other fun things. Now we're practicing blowing kisses, people's names, and baby signs. I think names may take a while, though this girl is so observant and a learning machine! I believe signs will come so quickly and so naturally to her, we've all just got to be consistent and persistent. While I am completely enjoying this time of watching her learn and grow at such a rapid pace (however I could do away with this temper she seems to have gotten, with all the screaming and scratching, but it shall pass eventually, patience!), I cannot wait until she's bigge