Skip to main content

Winter Adventures

This winter has been the coldest one I can remember lately. Below freezing temperatures, plus brutally cold wind chills, for days on end. A warm day here and there, the quick little January thaw, but for the most part very cold. And while I would love nothing more than to just curl up on the couch with a blanket, warm mug of tea, and a giant book (any Outlander fans??), and wait out the cold, little O needs outside time.

She is like me and would be content staying in and watching the snow fall and waiting until the day all of the ice has melted, but those ten plus days we had of -20 showed me how much she really needs to get out and breathe the fresh air and exercise those little legs. O starts showing some resistance in going for walks or sledding after long stretches indoors, and so it can take a bit of persuasion to get her ready to go, but even if it's just to walk to the car to come grocery shopping, I want her out every day. She needs it, and so do I because when it's cold I do not like nature. I'm one of those people that just can't stay warm and I get cold very easily. But I love the outdoors and so I too need to persuade myself to go out every once in a while.

Even though it's been extremely cold, we make the most of it and spend ample time outside on those few warmer days. After a week of -10, even 20 feels like summer! Here are a few shots I took for some adventures.


Being buried, more fun that one would think.


O got her own sled this year, and it comes with us on almost every walk.


First time on the ice. At first she was wary, she's a careful little girl, but in the end she had a wonderful time.


On a snowshoeing trek, we stopped for a cocoa break and found a few squirrel homes. We thought Timmy Tiptoes or Squirrel Nutkin may live here.


Sunset after some snowshoeing.


I'm not one for many winter sports, as mentioned above I don't do well with cold, however I do like to snowshoe and sled, which luckily little O likes too! I think we'll be on the hunt for some snowshoes in her size secondhand, she has shown interest in trying them instead of just being pulled in the sled behind. 

Do you make an effort to get outside everyday, even in the colder months? What kinds of things do you do to try to stay warm?

Magic, light, and warmth
Naomi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions

We went tide-pooling recently and O found a little jellyfish, which she is clearly so proud of. This is a time of transitions. Summer turning to autumn. O going from toddler to little girl. Moving back east after a long stint in Alaska. And all that takes a lot of mental space to deal with and get through. Bigger feelings, and bigger suitcases make this time in our lives and the year one that needs a little extra attention. Whether that is downsizing, quality time, or just extra cuddles during the day, it's a season that we will get through. Together. Just as we have always done. It is also a time where I am less attached to any one place than I ever have been, and that is definitely a vulnerable feeling. It's like I'm a bit of kelp that has come loose from its rock and is now floating freely around the vast ocean. I really need to take this time to reflect on where I am and where I would like to go. Now is the time to manifest my dreams into a reality, while I'

2019 intentions, goals, and dreams

Another year, another chance to set intentions for how you envision the year to unfold. While you can do this at anytime and for any reason, the calendar year always seems like a great place to start. The crisp winter air and *sometimes* a fresh blanket of snow creating the illusion that the world is your canvas and you can make it any way you want. A couple of weeks ago I was talking with little O about setting goals and intentions and wishes for things we want to do and learn in the new year, and I thought sharing her ideas, as well as mine, would be a good way to start this new year. My intentions, goals, and dreams for 2019 and beyond: Learn to knit and crochet- I have learned both but I have only ever made scarves, and not very well Blog regularly- and by that I think I'd like to post in this space at least three times a month Exercise regularly- I haven't thought much about what this means exactly but I did do yoga this      morning with O and that felt right and w

Zero Waste: Toddler Edition

As someone who strives to be minimal and produce as little waste as I can, these are a few of my essentials for myself as well as O when it comes to snacking away from home. Whether that's doing a grocery run, spending too much at Target, or having a beach picnic, these few things are usually in my bag at all times. Jars: for bulk snacks and leftovers Napkin: for messy faces and hands Reusable snack bags: for more bulk snacks or a small toy or game Beeswrap: mostly for cheese Mason jar cup: for smoothies, water, or even a hot cocoa treat Most of these cost me little to no money. We always have jars in the cupboard, I made the beeswrap out of some old fabric I had (with bees no less!) and beeswax, the silicone jar sleeve and straw cover were recent purchases for our cross country trip, the straw I picked up at our local swap shop for free since none of my other reusable straws were short enough, and the napkin and snack bag came as part of my Mighty Fix subscription.