Skip to main content

Books we love: Sleep Tight Farm

Little O is one of the biggest book worms I know, besides myself. She can just sit on the couch or on her bed or in her little nook and read anything she can get her hands on for hours and hours. Library day might as well be a weekly holiday it's so well loved. That being said, I don't think all children's books are created equal. There are the sweet and lovely, and the ones that drive you crazy to read over and over. I thought it would be nice to start a little series where I highlight books we enjoy, since book recommendation posts are some of my personal favorite to read.

The first book I'll share is called Sleep Tight Farm by Eugenie Doyle. It is such a sweet story about a family of farmers putting their farm to bed for the winter. The illustrations by Becca Stadtlander are gorgeous and realistic. I love that it teaches about how farmers take care of the land, animals, and equipment they have while not being dry and too factual. Here is a sneak peek inside.







Nonfiction books have come such a long way from what I remember using in school. Some of my current favorite children's books are nonfiction, but they look and read like the most lovely of stories. This book does such a nice job of sharing memories from the more fruitful months on farms while also appreciating the rest period all farms go through as they prepare for the next year. It is definitely on my list to add to our personal library.

Do you have any book recommendations? They don't have to be nonfiction, or even for children!

Light, love, and magic
Naomi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions

We went tide-pooling recently and O found a little jellyfish, which she is clearly so proud of. This is a time of transitions. Summer turning to autumn. O going from toddler to little girl. Moving back east after a long stint in Alaska. And all that takes a lot of mental space to deal with and get through. Bigger feelings, and bigger suitcases make this time in our lives and the year one that needs a little extra attention. Whether that is downsizing, quality time, or just extra cuddles during the day, it's a season that we will get through. Together. Just as we have always done. It is also a time where I am less attached to any one place than I ever have been, and that is definitely a vulnerable feeling. It's like I'm a bit of kelp that has come loose from its rock and is now floating freely around the vast ocean. I really need to take this time to reflect on where I am and where I would like to go. Now is the time to manifest my dreams into a reality, while I'

2019 intentions, goals, and dreams

Another year, another chance to set intentions for how you envision the year to unfold. While you can do this at anytime and for any reason, the calendar year always seems like a great place to start. The crisp winter air and *sometimes* a fresh blanket of snow creating the illusion that the world is your canvas and you can make it any way you want. A couple of weeks ago I was talking with little O about setting goals and intentions and wishes for things we want to do and learn in the new year, and I thought sharing her ideas, as well as mine, would be a good way to start this new year. My intentions, goals, and dreams for 2019 and beyond: Learn to knit and crochet- I have learned both but I have only ever made scarves, and not very well Blog regularly- and by that I think I'd like to post in this space at least three times a month Exercise regularly- I haven't thought much about what this means exactly but I did do yoga this      morning with O and that felt right and w

Zero Waste: Toddler Edition

As someone who strives to be minimal and produce as little waste as I can, these are a few of my essentials for myself as well as O when it comes to snacking away from home. Whether that's doing a grocery run, spending too much at Target, or having a beach picnic, these few things are usually in my bag at all times. Jars: for bulk snacks and leftovers Napkin: for messy faces and hands Reusable snack bags: for more bulk snacks or a small toy or game Beeswrap: mostly for cheese Mason jar cup: for smoothies, water, or even a hot cocoa treat Most of these cost me little to no money. We always have jars in the cupboard, I made the beeswrap out of some old fabric I had (with bees no less!) and beeswax, the silicone jar sleeve and straw cover were recent purchases for our cross country trip, the straw I picked up at our local swap shop for free since none of my other reusable straws were short enough, and the napkin and snack bag came as part of my Mighty Fix subscription.