Skip to main content

A no buy year- almost

This is a sort of new idea for me, though definitely one that is very appealing to me, especially in this season of my life. Imagine, spending zero dollars on stuff. On junk. On useless items. I'm partly inspired by Meredith, of Meredithtested, but I have heard of this concept before. We're also planning a temporary cross country move for the summer, and I think saving as much as I can for that time is the best thing for us right now. Enter the no buy year. 


Secondhand items I just had to have. The shoes were the best and worn by O for months, though the gorgeous overalls never even fit.

Now it's one thing to say you're not going to spend money, but it's another thing to actually do it. I've never been a big shopper, but I do LOVE to scan the thrift shop and try to find the best deals. But I don't need anything. So why look? There is my wishlist of things that would be nice to have, like wool leggings, brown booties, handmade pottery. But none of those are necessary. Little O also doesn't need anything at this moment, though being 2.5 she will most likely grow out of a lot of what she has now. Thank goodness for handmedowns! Having a bunch of older cousins helps in the clothing department for sure.

Between now and when we head west for the summer, there is really only a couple things I can think of that we need or I'd like to purchase before the trip. O needs a new raincoat, I'd like some drink covers for mason jars and a few more reusable bags for snacks and produce. That's really it. If I can keep our purchases for the year down to just these handful of items, I think it will really help financially as well as with my mindset around what truly matters. It isn't about how much we have, but the quality of what we have, and by focusing on just what is needed it's possible to only buy what is special, best for the environment, and of the highest quality.

I'd much rather save for long lasting items, or for experiences and memories, wouldn't you?

Love, light, and happiness 
Naomi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions

We went tide-pooling recently and O found a little jellyfish, which she is clearly so proud of. This is a time of transitions. Summer turning to autumn. O going from toddler to little girl. Moving back east after a long stint in Alaska. And all that takes a lot of mental space to deal with and get through. Bigger feelings, and bigger suitcases make this time in our lives and the year one that needs a little extra attention. Whether that is downsizing, quality time, or just extra cuddles during the day, it's a season that we will get through. Together. Just as we have always done. It is also a time where I am less attached to any one place than I ever have been, and that is definitely a vulnerable feeling. It's like I'm a bit of kelp that has come loose from its rock and is now floating freely around the vast ocean. I really need to take this time to reflect on where I am and where I would like to go. Now is the time to manifest my dreams into a reality, while I'

Zero Waste: Toddler Edition

As someone who strives to be minimal and produce as little waste as I can, these are a few of my essentials for myself as well as O when it comes to snacking away from home. Whether that's doing a grocery run, spending too much at Target, or having a beach picnic, these few things are usually in my bag at all times. Jars: for bulk snacks and leftovers Napkin: for messy faces and hands Reusable snack bags: for more bulk snacks or a small toy or game Beeswrap: mostly for cheese Mason jar cup: for smoothies, water, or even a hot cocoa treat Most of these cost me little to no money. We always have jars in the cupboard, I made the beeswrap out of some old fabric I had (with bees no less!) and beeswax, the silicone jar sleeve and straw cover were recent purchases for our cross country trip, the straw I picked up at our local swap shop for free since none of my other reusable straws were short enough, and the napkin and snack bag came as part of my Mighty Fix subscription.

Winter Adventures

This winter has been the coldest one I can remember lately. Below freezing temperatures, plus brutally cold wind chills, for days on end. A warm day here and there, the quick little January thaw, but for the most part very cold. And while I would love nothing more than to just curl up on the couch with a blanket, warm mug of tea, and a giant book (any Outlander fans??), and wait out the cold, little O needs outside time. She is like me and would be content staying in and watching the snow fall and waiting until the day all of the ice has melted, but those ten plus days we had of -20 showed me how much she really needs to get out and breathe the fresh air and exercise those little legs. O starts showing some resistance in going for walks or sledding after long stretches indoors, and so it can take a bit of persuasion to get her ready to go, but even if it's just to walk to the car to come grocery shopping, I want her out every day. She needs it, and so do I because when it's c