Skip to main content

2017 Intentions and Goals

2016, that long and interesting- if somewhat depressing- year is finally in the past. we are now well on our way into 2017, and with that I thought I would like to put pen to paper- or rather hands to keys- and write out my goals and intentions for the next twelve months. Perhaps by putting them down on the internet, for all to see and for easy access to review myself, I can accomplish most of not all of these aspirations. Let's get started.

General goals or intentions:

- Meditate
- Be more mindful and present in everyday life
- Read
- Learn to knit and/or crochet (this is the year that I strive to finally know enough to create something in one of these mediums)
- Craft more toys by hand for O, mainly woodwork
- Travel, at least a little bit
- Develop a geography or environmental workshop curriculum and begin teaching it (my life passion that also happens to tie into my degree, which is always a bonus)

Monthly goals:

January: make homemade remedies
February: organize my craft supplies
March: meditation month? That sounds like it could be fun!
April: wardrobe clean out
May: toy clean out- it's birthday month for O so this sounds like a great time to make way for new things
June: spend time in nature every single day
July: don't buy anything new, or anything at all if it can be helped
August: learn something new- sport, hobby, language, anything
September: prepare for the upcoming holidays
October: winter wardrobe prep- check the old before bringing in the new
November: try new recipes
December: reflect on the year, perhaps in a photo album or scrapbook

I'm sure there are many other things I could be including, however I always try to keep expectations on 'new year resolutions' low, because if they get too high and then don't work out, it can send you into a bad downward spiral. It's better to surprise yourself with all of the personal growth you can have in a year than to get down on all the growth you thought would happen but didn't. But maybe I should be expecting more from myself from the get-go... Que sera sera.

Here's to a lovely year, where we all have the potential to grow and surprise ourselves!

Happiness and light,
Naomi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions

We went tide-pooling recently and O found a little jellyfish, which she is clearly so proud of. This is a time of transitions. Summer turning to autumn. O going from toddler to little girl. Moving back east after a long stint in Alaska. And all that takes a lot of mental space to deal with and get through. Bigger feelings, and bigger suitcases make this time in our lives and the year one that needs a little extra attention. Whether that is downsizing, quality time, or just extra cuddles during the day, it's a season that we will get through. Together. Just as we have always done. It is also a time where I am less attached to any one place than I ever have been, and that is definitely a vulnerable feeling. It's like I'm a bit of kelp that has come loose from its rock and is now floating freely around the vast ocean. I really need to take this time to reflect on where I am and where I would like to go. Now is the time to manifest my dreams into a reality, while I'

2019 intentions, goals, and dreams

Another year, another chance to set intentions for how you envision the year to unfold. While you can do this at anytime and for any reason, the calendar year always seems like a great place to start. The crisp winter air and *sometimes* a fresh blanket of snow creating the illusion that the world is your canvas and you can make it any way you want. A couple of weeks ago I was talking with little O about setting goals and intentions and wishes for things we want to do and learn in the new year, and I thought sharing her ideas, as well as mine, would be a good way to start this new year. My intentions, goals, and dreams for 2019 and beyond: Learn to knit and crochet- I have learned both but I have only ever made scarves, and not very well Blog regularly- and by that I think I'd like to post in this space at least three times a month Exercise regularly- I haven't thought much about what this means exactly but I did do yoga this      morning with O and that felt right and w

Zero Waste: Toddler Edition

As someone who strives to be minimal and produce as little waste as I can, these are a few of my essentials for myself as well as O when it comes to snacking away from home. Whether that's doing a grocery run, spending too much at Target, or having a beach picnic, these few things are usually in my bag at all times. Jars: for bulk snacks and leftovers Napkin: for messy faces and hands Reusable snack bags: for more bulk snacks or a small toy or game Beeswrap: mostly for cheese Mason jar cup: for smoothies, water, or even a hot cocoa treat Most of these cost me little to no money. We always have jars in the cupboard, I made the beeswrap out of some old fabric I had (with bees no less!) and beeswax, the silicone jar sleeve and straw cover were recent purchases for our cross country trip, the straw I picked up at our local swap shop for free since none of my other reusable straws were short enough, and the napkin and snack bag came as part of my Mighty Fix subscription.