Skip to main content

Zero Waste and Minimalism

Two things I have been researching and learning more about are living with zero waste and minimalism. They are quite self-explanatory, however they can also be interpreted in a few different ways.

Being zero waste, at least through my view, is striving to produce as little that will be sent to a landfill as possible. This means that you can compost, recycle, and upcycle as much as you want, but you are consciously choosing to buy items that will not end up in a landfill, that being the item itself or its packaging. This means buying in bulk, buying local, and buying high quality items of natural materials that can breakdown naturally, or be converted into some else. Anything that is purchased prepackaged, should be contained in something that can be recycled. It isn't hard to do, so long as you do it consciously and say no to things that don't fit into the zero waste criteria.

Now minimalism, I believe is a much more broad term. There are people that are minimal with their clothing, or food, or expenses. It is very easy to apply minimalism to anything in your life. I'm working toward becoming more minimal with the clothing, material objects, and purchases, however I love to craft and therefore I don't think I will be cleaning out my craft supplies any time soon. Apply minimalism to what is important to you.

I would like to start doing more posts on these two 'lifestyles' in the future. I put lifestyles in quotes because anyone can apply these concepts to any aspect of life, and there is no right or wrong way to practice really. One thing many people do on the path to zero waste is cut out plastic, however I have a lot of plastic tupperware which I use instead of plastic wrap or bags. Now some people may toss all of those out and purchase glass or stainless steel containers, but to me that is just as wasteful. Use the items you have until they don't work for you anymore, and then replace them with better items. That's at least what I plan on doing.

I hope that this and future posts may encourage someone to give these ideas a try, and hopefully they will stick! I don't think anyone would suffer from striving to consume less, even in the age of more, more, more. Do any of you already practice these methods in your home or life?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions

We went tide-pooling recently and O found a little jellyfish, which she is clearly so proud of. This is a time of transitions. Summer turning to autumn. O going from toddler to little girl. Moving back east after a long stint in Alaska. And all that takes a lot of mental space to deal with and get through. Bigger feelings, and bigger suitcases make this time in our lives and the year one that needs a little extra attention. Whether that is downsizing, quality time, or just extra cuddles during the day, it's a season that we will get through. Together. Just as we have always done. It is also a time where I am less attached to any one place than I ever have been, and that is definitely a vulnerable feeling. It's like I'm a bit of kelp that has come loose from its rock and is now floating freely around the vast ocean. I really need to take this time to reflect on where I am and where I would like to go. Now is the time to manifest my dreams into a reality, while I'

Zero Waste: Toddler Edition

As someone who strives to be minimal and produce as little waste as I can, these are a few of my essentials for myself as well as O when it comes to snacking away from home. Whether that's doing a grocery run, spending too much at Target, or having a beach picnic, these few things are usually in my bag at all times. Jars: for bulk snacks and leftovers Napkin: for messy faces and hands Reusable snack bags: for more bulk snacks or a small toy or game Beeswrap: mostly for cheese Mason jar cup: for smoothies, water, or even a hot cocoa treat Most of these cost me little to no money. We always have jars in the cupboard, I made the beeswrap out of some old fabric I had (with bees no less!) and beeswax, the silicone jar sleeve and straw cover were recent purchases for our cross country trip, the straw I picked up at our local swap shop for free since none of my other reusable straws were short enough, and the napkin and snack bag came as part of my Mighty Fix subscription.

2019 intentions, goals, and dreams

Another year, another chance to set intentions for how you envision the year to unfold. While you can do this at anytime and for any reason, the calendar year always seems like a great place to start. The crisp winter air and *sometimes* a fresh blanket of snow creating the illusion that the world is your canvas and you can make it any way you want. A couple of weeks ago I was talking with little O about setting goals and intentions and wishes for things we want to do and learn in the new year, and I thought sharing her ideas, as well as mine, would be a good way to start this new year. My intentions, goals, and dreams for 2019 and beyond: Learn to knit and crochet- I have learned both but I have only ever made scarves, and not very well Blog regularly- and by that I think I'd like to post in this space at least three times a month Exercise regularly- I haven't thought much about what this means exactly but I did do yoga this      morning with O and that felt right and w