Skip to main content

April 5


I've been caught up in the hype. Now that O will be two soon (next month) I've been wondering if it's time to sign her up for a class or lesson or some sort of toddler thing. Every time I catch myself googling ballet classes or gymnastics or forest schools, I take a step back and wonder if they are really necessary. Surely we could just play music and dance around the living room, or climb jungle gyms or have daily nature walks ourselves, after all we already do these things!

Maybe the reason I am looking into these things is so she can interact with other children and have the beginnings of lifelong friendships. Or I don't want her to miss out on something fun. Or not realize a skill or talent or passion and loose time that she could be developing it.

One dance class I was considering was just at our local community center, and it's only for about a month, so I thought that sounds good. But parents and caretakers aren't allowed to be in the room during class. Now that seems a little tricky for two and three year olds. Little O is becoming quite the explorer, but she always makes sure I'm in sight or comes back to bring me along on her excursions, and I don't think she would like it if I brought her to a class and just left. Most little ones I feel would have that issue. Maybe that's just us. Of course, she could love it and thrive and begin to love this new independence. No one is to know for sure, because I'm mostly likely not going to sign her up.

There are plenty of parent-child groups and events in our area, that are free to boot! I just need to be more aggressive in my search for them. Because let's be honest, a big reason to why there are these sorts of things are for the parents and caregivers to have some adult interaction and perhaps even find a friend or tribe they connect with. Maybe the whole reason I'm searching something out is because I haven't found my tribe, and it's really hard not having a network.

So now my options are all laid out, and one day, soon, I'll make a decision, To take a class, or seek out more free offerings. Or neither and just make friends at the park, beach, or forest. I feel no matter what decision I come up with though, little O will be happy, because she doesn't need much to be pleased.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transitions

We went tide-pooling recently and O found a little jellyfish, which she is clearly so proud of. This is a time of transitions. Summer turning to autumn. O going from toddler to little girl. Moving back east after a long stint in Alaska. And all that takes a lot of mental space to deal with and get through. Bigger feelings, and bigger suitcases make this time in our lives and the year one that needs a little extra attention. Whether that is downsizing, quality time, or just extra cuddles during the day, it's a season that we will get through. Together. Just as we have always done. It is also a time where I am less attached to any one place than I ever have been, and that is definitely a vulnerable feeling. It's like I'm a bit of kelp that has come loose from its rock and is now floating freely around the vast ocean. I really need to take this time to reflect on where I am and where I would like to go. Now is the time to manifest my dreams into a reality, while I'

2019 intentions, goals, and dreams

Another year, another chance to set intentions for how you envision the year to unfold. While you can do this at anytime and for any reason, the calendar year always seems like a great place to start. The crisp winter air and *sometimes* a fresh blanket of snow creating the illusion that the world is your canvas and you can make it any way you want. A couple of weeks ago I was talking with little O about setting goals and intentions and wishes for things we want to do and learn in the new year, and I thought sharing her ideas, as well as mine, would be a good way to start this new year. My intentions, goals, and dreams for 2019 and beyond: Learn to knit and crochet- I have learned both but I have only ever made scarves, and not very well Blog regularly- and by that I think I'd like to post in this space at least three times a month Exercise regularly- I haven't thought much about what this means exactly but I did do yoga this      morning with O and that felt right and w

What we've been reading

Every now and then we  come across a wonderful book that I just have to share. Whether the illustrations are beautiful, the words are enlightening, or the overall plot or idea is engaging, there is something about a well thought out book that just gets to me. And now, without further ado, The Golden Glow by Benjamin Flouw. This book is wonderfully written, beautifully illustrated, has talking animals, funny bits, plant identification, and a great message at the end. I highly recommend checking it out from your local library, or purchasing it from a local independent bookstore.  May you always have enough light to read by, Naomi